Personal Protective Equipment
No matter if it is mold, sewer damage, or water intrusion, we have the equipment needed to handle the situation efficiently and thoroughly.
We aim to provide our professional team members the necessary tools to succeed at every job they complete. As restorers and as professionals, our team members need to be prepared for potentially hazardous conditions. Personal Protective Equipment, PPE, is then implemented as a way to protect our team and the customer. Before using Personal Protective Equipment, the technician will closely evaluate the potential risk and determine the type of equipment is necessary for the job. This can also be referenced from OSHA and the IICRC. To help protect technicians from many hazards associated with contaminated water intrusions, team members need to have protective gear accessible. These items protect for all potential exposures to the body and include:
- Chemical-resistant gloves
- Splash goggles
- Appropriate Respirator
- Hard hat
- Rubber boots with hardened shank
- Protective clothing/Tyvek suits
With 2020 behind us, what does that mean for SERVPRO?
Our goal as a team of professionals is to make a place of excellent services and to be "faster to any size disaster."
SERVPRO will still be the “faster of any size disaster,” and to further that claim, SERVPRO plans to expand! It means that SERVPRO will have more manpower for those larger disasters, and more manpower means getting homes and businesses back to working order, faster. Our aim is to provide exceptional customer service for each and every customer.
After the last year we have had, SERVPRO has adapted to the changes and conquered the roadblocks ahead. Disinfecting may still be a huge thing in 2021, and SERVPRO will be there again and again to disinfect and sanitize it all. And while people are still working from home, we will still be able to provide carpet and duct cleaning for the extra traffic, as well as any mold, flood, or fire damage. Whatever lies ahead, SERVPRO is ready.
Best Helpful Hints to Get You Through the Winter and Storms
We know winter storms on on their way, so you can call on us when things get out of hand and the cold affects your home or business.
- Ceiling fans are not just for summer: flip the switch to reverse the spin of the fan and turn on the lowest speed to blow warm air down from ceiling.
- Use energy from the Sun: During the day, open drapes and blinds to allow sunlight to help warm the house, land then close at night to hold in heat.
- Dress in Layers: Pack an extra pair of warm socks, blankets, wool sweaters and long-johns or coveralls in your car to keep warm.
- Keep a bag of clay kitty litter in car: If your car gets stuck in deep snow or slick ice, sprinkle kitty litter (non-clumping) at the base of your tires to add some traction to get moving again. Extra weigh in trunk will create added pressure on your tires, ensuring greater contact between your tread and the ground.
- Don’t smoke or drink coffee before shoveling: Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and can add extra stress to the heart.
- Learn to walk like a penguin: To walk safely on ice, walk like a penguin. Point your feet out, land hold your arms out slightly to your side. Shuffle, land take short steps.
- Easy deicer: The night before freezing temperatures, rub half a potato over your car’s windshield. The sugar from the potato creates a barrier over the window and prevents ice from forming, when you come out in the morning you will not have to scrape! Simply rinse and wipe with your wipers when you get on the road.
- Gas Up: During cold weather months, it is good practice to keep at least a half tank of gas in your vehicle at all times. Not only does it prevent you from being stranded, but it prevents any water in the tank from freezing, which can damage the fuel pump.
- Frozen locks: Squirt a little hand sanitizer on them. The isopropyl alcohol that kills germs also lowers the freezing point of water, and can melt the ice inside the lock within seconds.
- Grab a roll of duct tape and keep it in car: Not only does it fix everything, but you can use it as a fire starter – duct tape is very flammable and is a great tool to get a fire going in an emergency. Don’t forget to have a lighter or matches in your emergency kit.
- Candles: will keep you warm in your car if you are stranded in car. Also, don’t forget to have a lighter or matches.
- No more icy walkways: Sprinkle leftover coffee grounds on your freshly shoveled walk or driveway to help melt the ice – it’s a natural and environmentally friendly way to add more traction underfoot. Remember to wipe feet when going inside.
- Dry wet shoes: by stuffing them with dry newspaper to absorb the moisture quicker.
- Shoveling Snow: Spay shovel with non-cook cooking spray, snow will slide off easier.
- Winter Survival Kit to keep in vehicle: Flashlight, batteries, snacks, water, ice scraper, first aid kit, candle and lighter, phone charger, warm outer clothing and travel shovel.
Homemade Cleaners Around The Home
If these homemade cleaners aren't quite doing the trick, then you can call on our SERVPRO team to help clean up your mess.
Home Made Glass Cleaner
*Mix 1 part Vinegar with 2 parts water
*Add ½ teaspoon dish soap for every cup of water
*Shake to mix
ALL-Natural Homemade Floor Cleaner
*1 part water
*1 part white vinegar
*1 part 70% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
*A few drops of liquid dish detergent
*1/4 part lemon juice
DIY Upholstery & Carpet Cleaner (If you have animals this can be a life saver)
*¼ cup of baking soda
*¼ cup of white vinegar
*3/4 cup of warm water
*1/2 tablespoon of dish liquid soap
Homemade Deodorizing Spray
*2 cups fabric softener
*2 cups baking soda
*4 cups of warm water
Homemade Garbage Disposal Cleaner
*3/4 cup baking soda
*1/2 cup salt
*1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap’
After first 3 ingredients are mixed, grate lemon peel into mixture. Then cut lemon the lemon in half and remove the seeds. Squeeze both halves into the mixture until lemon is fully incorporated. Grab a sheet pan, spoon and some parchment paper. Cover the sheet pan with parchment paper, use the spoon to mold in half rounds, and then tap them out onto the pan. Allow the tablets to dry overnight. Place dried mixture into a sealable container.
Clean Your Washer
*2 cups vinegar
*1/4 cup baking soda
Pour mixture directly into the machine’s drum. Run a normal cycle at least twice. Make another batch and use a brush and scrub the edges.
DIY Dishwasher Detergent
*2 cups of Borax
*2 cups washing soda
*4 packets of sugar-free lemonade Kool-aid.
All-Natural Homemade Floor Cleaner
*1 part water
*1 part white vinegar
*1 part 70% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
*A few drops of liquid dish detergent
*1/4 part lemon juice
This information was compiled from various on-line sources. SERVPRO is not responsible for any and all claims made by these sources. If the mess can’t be cleaned then make sure to call the professionals. Our SERVPRO team is here to help!
WINTER CHECKLIST FOR YOUR HOME
The colder months are quickly approaching and it's important to prepare as much as possible.
WINTER CHECKLIST FOR YOUR HOME
Winter weather can wreak havoc on your home if you are not prepared. Here is a list of tips and tricks for the winter months.
WINDOWS & DOORS
*Replace weatherstripping around doors and windows to prevent heat loss.
*Make sure your windows are securely locked to prevent cold air coming in or heat loss.
*Inspect windows for cracks, gaps or broken glass. Replace or repair if needed.
*Clean out any debris to prevent blockage of water flow and make sure downspouts flow away from house to prevent flooding or foundation damage.
*Make sure gutters are properly fastened. Ice and snow can pull gutters down and away from home.
*Cleaning out downspouts help with ice dams.
Call our SERVPRO team if you experience any damages this winter.
We Are Ready At All Times
We have all the equipment and vehicles needed to get any size job done. We come prepared no matter what the disaster is.
We have a promise to our clients. WE ARE READY at all times. We have a staff of over 40 people ready to help after any size disaster. We have staff on call at night and on the weekends to make sure that when we are needed we are ready. We have different size vehicles all stocked and fueled ready to leave at a moments notice. We have a very mobilized fleet. We have cars, trucks, trailers, and van trucks and a new semi trailer. We have a highly trained staff with crew leaders with over 90 years of combined experience in the mitigation and restoration business. They maintain certifications in residential and commercial approved structural drying, fire and smoke restoration, odor control, water damage restoration, carpet and duct cleaning, and biohazard. Our staff is ready to help you.
Get Ready for the Colder Months
It's time to prep for the winter months and the best time to start is during the fall before it gets too cold to handle.
SERVPRO is here to help. It is important to take the time to reduce property damage by doing these things this fall to prevent property damage. Winter is around the corner and Iowa winter temperatures are cold and harsh. Be prepared by taking a little action now by doing a little fall preventative maintenance.
Fall Maintenance Checklist
- Stow Your Mower
- Store hoses and turn off outdoor water
- Drain and turn off sprinkler systems
- Seal cracks around doors and windows
- Clean your gutters
- Inspect your roof
- Direct drainage away from your house
- Get your furnace serviced
- Prune your plants
- Look up the chimney for any blockages and check the dampers to make sure they are working
When damage happens though know we are here to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Get a FREE Emergency Ready Profile for your business
We are dedicated to make sure that you have all the proper information needed in case of an emergency.
For some damage restoration companies, conducting large-scale water damage repairs on office buildings in Iowa can be very difficult. In the event of a sprinkler malfunction, upper floor flood, or other disasters, the vertical nature of many office spaces can pose a significant challenge even for experienced restoration professionals like SERVPRO. However, with the help of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile system, you can make sure that your office receives the care and treatment it needs while we deal with mitigating your disaster.
The Emergency READY Profile is a mobile app that allows businesses in Iowa City and Coralville to prepare for and mitigate disasters as soon as they happen and provide details to ease the communication between multiple entities.
Our marketing team will help set up your account for you! We want to take the hassle out of a disaster and help your company thrive. If you own or manage multiple locations, we can set it up so you can see and manage all locations information. We will come and do a walk through with you, take pictures and document the location of the utility shutoffs
Creating an Emergency READY Profile for your business allows you to operate your company with a higher degree of security and peace of mind. When disaster strikes help is only a click away. The ERP is formatted to be a preventative tool, we help you identify hot-spots and areas of concern. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Should water, fire, or mold damage happen to your building, you can alert SERVPRO of Iowa City/Coralville and have our IICRC certified technicians sent out with only the push of a button. Your emergency information will be available at your fingertips 24/7 helping to reduce time figuring out who you want to contact.
Contents Claim Inventory
Our professional team can help you get back to normalcy by restoring the salvageable contents. We are HERE TO HELP.
Just imagine experiencing a total loss of your home due to a fire and having to recall every item that was damaged… would you be able to do it? Would you trust yourself to remember each individual item that was in your home, especially the rarely used ones? Without a photographic memory, most of us would struggle with this extensive task in an already stressful time. In the event of a fire, your insurance company will expect you to provide a list of all your personal property that was damaged. By having a pre-assembled Home Contents Inventory you can have piece-of-mind knowing that all of your contents are documented and can then be properly replaced according to your insurance policy. There are several methods to complete your Home Contents Inventory whether on paper or digitally (you can contact your local SERVPRO for a blank copy of either). You will want to make sure to list each item, its value, and include any receipts and photographs along with it. It is a good idea to update your Home Contents Inventory list annually to include any new items you have added to the home and remove items you no longer have. Make sure to keep a copy safe in a fireproof container or safe deposit box and you can always file a copy with your insurance agent as well.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
When going in to clean to disinfect a space, we make safety a high priority. We make sure to come in full PPE to clean the property.
For all businesses that need help reopening or have experienced a positive COVID-19 test in the work place, this is a reminder that we do offer professional services to combat this issue.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Iowa City/Coralville today for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.