Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
While waiting for our restoration experts at SERVPRO of Iowa City/Coralville to help make water damage "Like it never even happened," here are some steps you can take:
- File a claim with your insurance provider.
- Take photos of the damage for documentation.
- Inspect your carpet, and if the backing of the carpet is starting to separate from the fibers, take photos and document the damage.
- You can then remove the affected area of carpet and store it in a garage or outside. SERVPRO can haul this away when our teams arrive.
- If possible, remove personal contents out of affected areas.
- Remove any real hardwood furniture that has been damaged. SERVPRO may be able to restore these items.
- Take photos of any laminate furniture that is delaminating because these items most likely cannot be salvaged.
- Before using any electrical outlets, carefully inspect them for water damage.
- If you own a dehumidifier, put it to work to begin drying out the space.
- Have fans up and running to further help with the drying process.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (319) 338-8550
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.